From: MetHistory <[log in to unmask]>
To: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Jul 4, 2013 5:05 pm
Subject: Re: [BP] ss vs. brass in the Vineyard

Paint?   Paint?  Varnish?   Wait a minute, I put in the mahogany (about 50 batten-like things, 1 x 3 x 12 - to avoid maintenance for the next forty years.

Now I have to paint these things?  Or varnish them?   What about my mahogany wooden deck and stairs behind the kitchen?

And should I sub out all the brass screws on the porch woodwork with SS?

In a message dated 7/4/2013 4:57:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Getting stainless butts may be a problem, but I'd take them if you can get them.  Brass is more likely to be available, though.  If you go with brass, make sure the screws and pins are also brass, rather than plated.

And I'd paint the nice new mahogany brightwork; it'll last longer, and need less recoating if you keep the UV out of the wood with paint, rather than letting it through varnish (or whatever clear coat finish you're tempted to use.)

Ralph.

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html