Christopher:

2.  I’m guessing they cut the joists (and rafters above) from the basket so that wouldn’t be as scary as doing it from the floor. It had to be slow going though.

3.  Some sort of wainscoting treatment? Maybe they were hiding failed plaster. There doesn’t seem to be any plumbing to hide there (the studs would have been notched). It hides the electrical circuits without using Wiremold?

4.  A floor is a sort of composite structure with the subfloor running perpendicular to the joists (and maybe to some degree the lath of the ceiling below) forming the skin. It might be tied into the wall in some way and that may be helping. There may also be a (previously) non-structural wall below that is helping out.

5.  I don’t know a lot about this type of construction but I find it pretty scary. I think I see a steel beam in the third floor level but no steel column at the party wall (I hope there was a pilaster of some sort there but that doesn’t appear to be the case). There doesn’t appear to be what I think is called a shear wall or significant diagonal bracing. There is strength in numbers--lots of smaller elements that add up to equal a structural element of sorts.

6.  I think that’s what you’re seeing.

I’m a little surprised they wouldn’t try to shore it up rather than tear it down but we saw the same thing happen when an old building in Cortland (NY) burned. In that case the heat from the fire probably weakened the mortar adding to the impetus to tear it down ASAP?

Bruce (not a structural engineer but still wondering when I get to drive the train)