The guy purchasing supplies for the Manhattan House construction had a cousin who could get him a deal on white brick? Well... the brick wasn't *exactly* the same, didn't have the black specks, but hey... who'd notice a thing like that?

Just playin' the scenarios in my head...

-Heii

-----Original Message-----
From: MetHistory <[log in to unmask]>
To: BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm
Subject: [BP] further to white glazed brick

As I said previously - there ain't no such thing.  From my 1915 apartment house at 88th and West End to the schlock 1960s buildings, all the "white brick" actually has little black specks in it, introduced (says Glen-Gary) "to deaden some of the white color."

Why, exactly, they want to deaden the white color Ray Matullo could not explain.

There is a single exception to the "all the" statement above:  the 1950 Manhattan House.   Uniform color.  No specks.

But it looks the same to me, from a distance, as does the typical white glazed brick building directly across the street.

Reactions?   Is there a white brick historian somewhere?

Christopher

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html