From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] ivy

Am I imagining it, or do the Secretary's guidelines not mention removing ivy?

And, although I can find lots of local-type recommendations on ivy (see below) I cannot seem to find any national or industry-wide authority.

Any ideas?     Christopher

Appropriate Maintenance
• Keep masonry surfaces free of ivy because it retains moisture
against the masonry. Ivy also secretes enzymes that attack the
strength of the lime used in structures built before 1920. It can
penetrate the masonry surface causing the brick to spall and
possibly dislodge.
• Remove ivy growing on a wall by cutting it off at the base, then
allowing the branches to wither completely before gently pulling
them off the wall.

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html