Love that photo of train cars loaded with 33' Bedford limestone columns, and the one of the lathe that made them.   Ah, for the good old days.   Sure beats the aesthetic of the precast concrete beam plant just down the road!

cp in bc

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Larry Simpson
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [BP] Indiana limestone

It looks to me like there were two separate beds which they alternated, one flat and one rippled. I don't know about chat sawyers or shat chawers but in the olden days they would drill a hole by hammering a star drill every few feet in a line, then hammer in maple pegs the dose them with water. The pegs would expand then crack the limestone. I have seen the semicircular grooves in the face of rough foundation rock. see images here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bedford+limestone&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS254&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=S90-T5WOFYbY0QHE07XVBw&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=677

Larry2

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

In a message dated 2/17/2012 12:37:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Chat sawn finish was pretty common in the 1920s. Judy is correct. Shot sawn is even more wavy, but similar, and uses an abrasive.

OK, so, why did the Indiana Limestone company have this close-up photograph taken?   Was chat-sawn something to be proud of?   I would expect not.  The American Association of Chat-Sawyers?

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html