Demba,

What the lawyers think seems irrelevant as he must have advice them not to open a defense. He could call himself as a witness or even subpoena witnesses like the state. The lawyers are not hoping for mercy yet, but hoping that justice will reign. The defense we are hoping he opens involve trying to prove that Jammeh is indeed a dictator, inter alia.

Cheers,

Kejau

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:28:26 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [G_L] [>-<] Dr. Janneh's Defense team opts to rely on prosecution case? What happens then???
To: [log in to unmask]

Kejau, that is an interesting observation. Did his lawyers think he has any chance of getting mercy from a puppet judge than calling witnesses to testify? It may as well be that he has no willing witnesses to testify to Bamba's point.

Unlike the State the accused cannot subpoena witnesses to appear on their behalf. I think the fact that an accuse may not find brave witnesses alone is a cause for concern in rendering justice!!! This is serious denial of equal justice!!!!!

Demba
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: Kejau Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: The Gambia and Related Issues Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:44:06 +0000
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: The Gambia and Related Issues Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>

If I may comment, Dr. Janneh must have seen himself in the same predicament the politicians faced, not much support from Gambians. He has no intention of calling his witnesses instead wish to rely on the good judgment of the judge to throw the case away as not been proven enough against him. That is a big gamble this guy is willing to take rather than take the fight to the dictator in Kanilai. That way, the trend set by Mboge and the other jailed judge to try to please rather than invoke the wrath of the brutal dictator, is being followed albeit timidly.

Ta.

KT

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:22:01 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Could  our legal experts help explain what it means when the accuse decides to rely on the prosecution's case. Is the decision to not present defense against the charges the same as pleading guilty to the charges as laid out by the prosecution?

This appears a little confusing and Dr. Janneh and others may be at the mercy of the prosecution if they have nothing to present to defend themselves.  Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

Demba

--
"Be the change you want to see in the World"
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to: [log in to unmask] いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html