OK!  After periods of heavy soaking rains we get lots of calls from people that have leaks around their chimneys.  99 percent are from chimneys that do not have through flashing.  There are several roofers in our area that seal the brick from the outside and have been doing so for many years, especially Geocel 2310 (“a proprietary ethylene tripolymer formulation”).  We all have discussed the merits of silanes and siloxanes vs acrylics, meineral waxes, urathanes, and silicone resins, but it is very hard to convince an owner to do a partial or full chimney rebuild and install through flashing for 3 to 8 grand vs a cure that works for five or ten years and costs a few hundred bucks.  I have seen chimneys coated with products like “Chimney Saver” over ten years ago, and the brick is not spalled, the mortar looks similar, but there are no wind driven leaks, or leaks after long periods of rain.

What up doctors?

Best,

Leland

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gabriel Orgrease
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Stone flooring details (was Gab & Eti cross-post)

On 3/18/2010 12:20 PM, Jim Hicks wrote:

You get the idea – so that after a few hunnert years there will be a record of cultural tastes in kitchen flooring – for the archaeologists.

unless the cats use it

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html