Eric

Great news! I'll be checking it out.

Jim

________________________________

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hammarberg,
Eric
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] Chrysler Building on Modern Marvels

Friends and Colleagues

I just thought you might be interested in knowing that I will be
appearing in an upcoming episode of The History Channel's "Modern
Marvels" focusing on "chrome and stainless steel".

The program will cover the broad use of chrome and stainless steel
including the Chrome Shop Mafia which adds some truckers' "bling" to a
big rigs, how automotive parts get their luster in a complex
electroplating process and how Harley Davidson puts chrome to work both
as a decorative surface and a protective covering on engine parts. The
show then moves into classic cars where collectors show off their
sparkling tailfins and grilles. They will also peruse a unique
collection of more than 3,000 chrome hood ornaments, see how workers
chrome-plate plastic, and then learn how chrome puts the "stainless" in
stainless steel. Then find out how stainless steel flatware is
manufactured and the same material was worked into the iconic,
shimmering art deco dome of the Chrysler Building.

As you probably know, I oversaw a major evaluation and restoration of
the Chrysler Building's stainless steel exterior. Part of my commentary
includes exploring the shimmering facade of the iconic building, the
building's machine age aesthetics and high level of handmade
craftsmanship along with the building's rich history. We focused on the
architect's use of hubcaps, an eagle emblem used in gargoyle motif,
stainless steel laced around the building's extraordinary spire and the
innovative use of a late 1920s Chrysler radiator cap adorning the
building - similar to some of those in the collection of 3,000 earlier
in the program.

The program will air on:

Thursday, February 4, 2010  - 8:00 PM EST

Friday, February 5, 2010 - 12:00 AM EST

Saturday, February 6, 2010 - 7:00 PM EST

I hope you will watch!

Take care,

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10010
T 917.661.7800  F 917.661.7801
D 917.661.8160
www.ThorntonTomasetti.com

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The information in this email and any attachments may contain

confidential information that is intended solely for the

attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or

any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed

or retained by any person without authorization from the

addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, please

notify the sender immediately, and delete this message.

--

http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html