From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Jan 15, 2010 10:23 am
Subject: Re: [BP] BROWNSTONE ARTICLE

See message below.? I know brownstone was never illegalized, but anyone ever heard anything about brownstone burning? (except perhaps in Mel Gibson apocalyptic movie)?
?
In a message dated 1/15/2010 10:53:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [name deleted]@att.net writes:
Dear Mr. Gray --

? ?? Your brownstone restoration piece in today's Times was good reading?
-- thank you!? I have a question, however, concerning an aspect of?
brownstone construction.? I read somewhere long ago that brownstone?
burns -- like charcoal -- and was banned by New York's building code?
at some point in the early 20th cent.? It seems that when a fire in a?
brownstone-clad building was put out it would sometimes re-ignite?
from the still glowing brownstone cladding.? I'd be curious to know?
if you turned up anything in this regard during your research for the?
article.? And if the law is still on the books the restoration of 797?
Madison would appear to be in violation of the building code.

Thanks again,

?

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html