According to the “Dictionary of Building Preservation” a skirt board is the same as a baseboard (18th-19th century use), although in the early 18th century it was also used as the name for an unnotched trim board closing the open side of a stair case.

In the 1951 book called “Carpentry” by Gilbert Townsend base and skirting are used interchangeably as the trim at the base of a wall, and “Building Construction” by Huntington (1929) has an illustration showing the same on page 605.

Woody

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kennedy, Patrick (Heritage Council)
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] Skirtboard or skirt board

Ok I know I am opening my self up here but how (if at all) was this term used for buildings or for that matter is it a term that is still used?

Close as I get to using it in a construction sense around here = skirting is what you put at the bottom of your house trailor to the ground to keep out the possums and cold wind.

Pat rick

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html