West Point has the rep as ŒThe Contractors Graveyardı although Iıve talked
to some that say they made money there.
JH

From: Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:34:05 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [BP] insulsmart

On 1/20/2010 2:40 PM, Kennedy, Patrick (Heritage Council) wrote:
>  insulsmart
> Fort Knox
P-Rick,

I do not know about the insulating material, but I have interfaced w/ Army
Corp of Engineers at West Point -- assuming that is what you mean by Army.
The last caper I heard from that quarter was quite a few years ago and it
had to do w/ a 10-20,000 psi contraption that they were going to use in a
demo to needle jet remove mortar from stone joints.
I never saw the process or the result. Not been writ up in APT either. I did
hear from our A-class probe & investigation crew that they saw it made
something of a mess. Maybe it was just that it was really really wet and
made a mud hole.
So, along w/ a few other interfaces, my impression is that Army Corp of
Engineers when it comes to historic structures runs to a different drummer
than the mainstream histo presto as in we believe in Do No Harm... like they
are off on another ring of Saturn.
But I also get the impression that it is not exactly their fault... the Fed
govt can be a tight wad about education. And where they can't tell what is
in the airline passengers underwear they don't compare notes... as in talk
to the NPS maybe?
When I dealt w/ them directly they were more than open to better ways not to
make them look bad. Suggest: talk to them gently. Give guidance.
Other than that the stable of contractors at West Point are generally known
to be bottom feeders. It may have changed since I was paying attention but I
kinda doubt it.

][<en

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed,
or to change your settings, go to: