Interesting.  I've never really thought about it, but I thought that the principle of the cavity wall (in cavity brickwork) was primarily to allow any liquid water that penetrated through the external skin of brickwork moisture to run down the inside face of the outer skin, onto the flashing at the base of the cavity, and then drain out through the weepholes in perpends in the brickwork.

I can see how the cavity would also facilitate air circulation, which would promote drying out of the inside face of the outer skin of the brickwork, which would further improve the performance of a cavity wall (over the traditional solid masonry wall) with regards to moisture content and dampness.

Putting aside the question of placing insulation into the cavity, the reason for the cavity in the first place is a classic example of the way we 'lose' knowledge over time.  Where is the primary source that explains to us the rationale behind development of the cavity wall, as contemplated by the people who actually developed the cavity wall principle?

I encounter this conundrum regularly in the course of my work - current favourites include:

·         A belief that you should never use acid in any form on sandstone … in a city where there is substantial anecdotal evidence that for several decades, all sandstone buildings were washed down with dilute hydrochloric acid upon completion … I have been able to trace back one source of the belief that acid should not be used to a 100 word comment article in a South African trade publication which talked about the damage caused by acid washing of a sandstone building … reading between the lines, my guess is that the acid in question was hydrofluoric, which of course will have a disastrous effect on any quartz-containing material.

·         A belief that all stone-faced precast concrete cladding panels will fail if there is no grommet around the fixing clips between the stone and the concrete (due to differential thermal and moisture-induced movements)… which dates back to the first mention of this method of fixing stone veneer facing to precast concrete in a version of the Precast Concrete Design Manual dating from the early 1990s … the genesis of which does not appear to be based on any published research, but on the opinion of a single individual.

So, to return to the original question about the insulation – there are two paradigms to be questioned:

a)                  Should we fill the cavity space in a cavity masonry wall with insulation?

b)                  Is “Insulsmart” a suitable material for use as injected insulation i.e. will it perform adequately without adverse effects on the surrounding historic fabric?

My reading of the collective wisdom proffered to date is that we haven’t adequately answered the first question, although consensus appears to be that we shouldn’t fill the cavity; and that we don’t think “Insulsmart” is a suitable material for the proposed use due to known problems with injected foam materials, and the potential fire hazard …

Time to get back to fee-paying work.

Cheers

David West

Executive Director