From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Haiti

In a message dated 1/17/2010, [log in to unmask] writes:

Please send money, whatever amount,

Our cleaning lady is a professing (but not overbearing) Christian.   She makes about $17/hour.   I make a tad more.   We often talk about God (I am a non-professing Christian, although I am overbearing) and exchange "Have a blessed day" when we part.  I live on Park Avenue, she lives on Caton Avenue - in seriously African-American Brooklyn.

She is from Barbados and has, I surmise, a not-very-high opinion of Haitians - like, how about they get it together over there? - although has never said so expressly.   On the second day after, we were talking about the wrenching images coming out of the country, and she said her church has a mission there, and she was sending money.  I said "I'll match it" thinking she would send a couple of hours of  her pay, $25 or $30.    Like, I'll take a couple of books out of the library instead of buying them - no sweat.

She said, fine, and gave me the contact info so I could donate on line.   I said, well, how much are you giving?  And she said ...  four hundred dollars.      Good thing she didn't donate her house.

Christopher

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html