> An interesting alteration is near completion at 797 Madison Avenue, an
> 1880s brownstone rowhouse with a store insertion on the ground floor
> from the early 20th.
> The architect, Costas Terzis, says the cost increment was about
> four-fold, $150,000 for the quick and dirty repairs, and $600,000 for
> the all-new stone.
> *Does that multiple sound credible?*
c,

yes
though a more detailed answer would need to be heavily qualified
quarry is one piece of information, more relevant to cost: who is the
fabricator?
is the stone out of Germany then fabricated in China?
is the installation labor open shop or union?
my gut reaction is that the $150,000 is too high and the $600,000 is,
well, someone is happy
but the multiplier if anything is too low, but plausibly maybe not

][<en