James,

Write on brother!

Best,

Leland

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Hicks
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Haiti

Lisa et al,
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion/517494/imf_to_haiti_freeze_public_wages
In a later post Ilene asks if it is ever going to be enough?
As the article in the nation points out much of the “help” that is delivered to Haiti and other relief efforts elsewhere it’s the strings that are attached to the aid that makes it temporary solution rather than permanent.
JH

From: Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 07:56:38 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>

Lisa,
One pig used to be a sign of prosperity in the countryside. In the mid seventies, when I was just getting to know the country, I was working for an ethnomusicologist who had recorded in Haiti since the 50’s and liked his Barboncourt Rhum.  After we had put him to bed, we decided he might need some company.  We went to the local Mambo and told her of our plan, and were able to rent a pig for the night.  Of course the pig escaped the room in the wee hours of the room and caused quite a ruckus. We were ejected from the hotel, as the owners would not let rooms to men who slept with pigs.  It was the joke of the town for days, much laughter in the market.
It takes so little to make so many happy, and one signature to destroy all the pigs in Haiti, and make so many suffer.
Thank you everyone for sending checks.  I have found so many that I did not know had connections.
Best,
Leland