Pyrate

Whilst I have no doubt that you'll find some of the steel corroding, I'd
be wanting to make sure that the structural engineer was looking out for
other mechanisms acting on the terracotta.

Although the terracotta is connected by steel hangers, it is my
understanding of the historic record and the practicalities of
construction that the original terracotta masons actually 'stacked' the
terracotta units into place, and fixed the hangers afterwards.  When all
was done, they removed their temporary falsework or supports.  This is
key to understanding the potential for other mechanisms to act on the
terracotta.

If the building is 14 stories high, and the terracotta was all stacked
into place, this means that there is nowhere for any stress relief.  If
there is any form of differential stress develop between the terracotta
units and the structure behind, then it will be locked into the
terracotta.  The problem is that whilst the material is strong in
compression, it is extremely weak in tension.  And if there is the
potential for splitting tensile stresses to develop, then cracking of
the face of the terracotta units (or shearing) can easily develop at
changes in profile in the terracotta (e.g. projecting string course or
column capitals).  And there were a few of those in buildings of 1907,
generally speaking!

So, what I'm saying, is that the structural engineer needs to be on the
look out for sources of stress in the terracotta.  This might be
differential thermal movement between the terracotta and the structure,
although I doubt it in a building this old.  This might be creep (or
shortening) of the reinforced concrete structure - which although a big
proportion of this occurs in the first few months after construction, it
does continue for a long time (albeit at a very much reduced rate).  I'd
suspect that this is contributing to the problems with deterioration at
the eyebrows and shelf angles, because they will act as a stress
'concentrator'.

Have a good time.

Cheers

David West