and then there was the time I went to split out some Black Gum rounds for my Moms fireplace.  I never did get that wedge out!

pat-rick

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gabriel Orgrease
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 1:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] splitting oak

[log in to unmask] wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
I just cannot even faintly split 2 year old oak rounds, perhaps 8",  on my woodpile.  I am using a nice fresh maul, which goes through cedar, locust, etc. just fine.

If I age it more, will it split?
Sometimes that helps. But it is probably more technique related. Maybe try a wedge and sledge?
We have a pile of oak in a larger diameter than yours that we work on when we get bored.
Cedar and locust tend to split easy. Try elm if you are up for a real challenge.

][<en
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html -- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html