From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Dauerty
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Fiberglass treatment say it ain't so

Guys,
    I am not a mason by any standard, but I have seen a system in play that seems closer to terra cotta than fiberglass.  While doing an install in San Antonio a couple years back, I was forced to work nose to nose with a masonry crew who were installing lightweight masonry cornice and other decorative elements.  The material was light weight concrete formed in rubber molds over an armature(?) of styrofoam.  Very light and not bad looking.  They were applied over what seemed to be EIFS attached with stainless brick ties and a lot of Sika bonding goo.  Of course the look they were going for was Spanish colonial and sandstone so the method worked out pretty well for that app.  This was at one of those awful discount mall developments and the same crew did a Palladium Theater in Classical style with a good result.   I'm sure this is probably a pretty common thing, but I had not seen it before.  I'm a traditional wood guy by choice.

David Dauerty
To The Line Timber Frames