It's not generally known or advertised to the public, but Laurence Rockefeller's summer home in Windsor, VT, now managed by the National Park Service at Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park, has a massive fallout shelter tunneled below the mansion.  It was constructed in great secrecy c.1960, and was meant to house up to 50 people for months at a time.  It was fully stocked and provisioned with everything needed to survive a nuclear apocalypse including a well stocked wine and liquor storeroom.  When the Park Service acquired the property in 1992 everything in the fallout shelter was left exactly as it was (except for the liquor stock).  It's still fully provisioned with canned and dehydrated food and products from 1960.  I got to see it during a condition assessment at the site a couple of years ago, and it is an amazing artifact.  It makes you wonder what sort of information Laurence was privy to when his brother Nelson was Governor of New York and harboring presidential aspirations.

BTW, in the later years of his life Laurence was deeply interested in UFOs and crop circles.

Lisa

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:00 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
In a message dated 4/4/2009 2:00:36 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.americanbombshelter.com/bomb-fallout-shelter-kit.htm

>Nice endorsement:   /Once you realize how easy and relatively
>inexpensive it is to have a true steel reinforced concrete underground
>shelter, all of the others will pale in comparison. Every documented
>bomb shelter constructed by governments from small budget
>//dictatorships/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein>/ up to
>//superpowers/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain>/ have
>been constructed of *steel reinforced concrete.*/

Until recently there were grants "down hair" for in ground storm shelters ;so that when the f-5 went trough you couldn't get hoovered  right out from under your house as the residents of Tupelo did in 35 when the f-5 sucked the dead right out of the cemetery ....me ?..my storm shelter doubles for my wine celler  my theory is if the mrs can't find me..... how the hell will the f -5 ?
However The best one I ever saw was the Wolf/s Lair ; the one the paper hanger built underneath a 1000 year old oak forrest on the eastern front north of Warsaw ;its a little drafty today but until the NORAD bases of the 50's it was the largest complex of its kind   Py

Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE with TaxACT. (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220239440x1201335902/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82) -- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html *Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp