In a message dated 1/4/2009 12:44:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Jim,

In general, most corporate and municipal entities find this a conflict of interest; the relationship developed as the consultant gives unfair advantage..  However, if the bid is truly apples to apples with low bid being the deciding factor, following a review and selection of bidders through an RFQ, I do not see why not.  In fact, in the several cases like that, I have seen, the consultant (knows too much) and has not been the low bidder.  The process becomes more convoluted when you have consultants reviewing projects and getting advice from contractors (as used to always be the case, as the consultants only expertise was in writing and documenting, not the skilled trade required).  In this case the specialty contractor is allowed to bid, but the consultant and owner chose – what is fair about that?  I think a better approach is a RFQ to select a conservator/consultant/contractor team, and then negotiate the costs based on man hours, materials, mark-up and profit and overhead. We on the consultant end prefer to be retained by the Owner since we (theoretically) will be representing the owner (in an always-fair-and-judicious manner, of course) in his actions relative to the contractor, and can't do that if we're in any way dependent on the contractor.  There's a reason most people don't walk on their hands down the middle of the street, and there are usually problems when they do.

Best,    Equally bestest,

Leland        Ralph

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Hicks
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Stained Glass Consultant

I will relate later what my experience has been with the St. Pats bidding, not withstanding Ralph’s admonition.
A query – how many consultants, in the general construction business, are allowed to bid on the job they are the official consultant of?
Suffice to say that almost every one on my team has dropped out of the project because Art Femenalla, the official (there are some other un-official) consultant, is being allowed to bid the St. Patrick’s job. The other one on the team just up and quit the company he was in charge of.

--
Quality Restoration Works, LLC
JIM HICKS

From: Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask] href="mip:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:08:55 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask] href="mip:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>

Hammarberg, Eric wrote:

Re: [BP] Stained Glass Consultant
The Arch got conflicting recommendations from 2 "consultants"

Like w/ economic pundits?
What amazes me is how often "consultants" are more shtick than substance.

What also amazes me is how humans groupthink through conflicting information and that the conclusions can usually be tied not to technological results but to simple vices.

][<
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html