Py

What day did this happen?

LT

From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] lunch in Egypt

Egypt, Mississippi
After a cool spring; the warm weather is back ;;
so i pulled over to the side of a country road to take my  lunch in the cool of the shade of some trees and was just making my way through the second half of a  Becky's burger (served "to go "  by Becky herself ; )
a tugboat Annie character  who addresses you as "darlin" and "hon" and gives plenty of cleavage to go with those fries as she sweet talks your order through
the open  window of her primitive  roadside  stand.

Nestled in the trees outside Egypt where I am parked is a  small stone marker hidden in the weeds.
I can't really see it but it appears to be granite and carved in the shape of a plane with its stylized propeller being the uppermost pedestal about chin high.

I needed to stretch my legs and water the horse so  I parted company with the afternoons Beethoven (The 6th the  Pastoral) and walked over for a look-see not expecting much as it was well hidden and obviously forgotten.
I was surprised by what I found.
The monument; was solid and well carved in that 30's chunky mo-dern deco style;
and  it bears symbols of the army air corps and of the American air mail service; which was sort of the UPS of its day.
(Lindbergh for instance delivered the US air mail mail as a contractor)

It was carved by the WPA ; and it  was an honorarium to Eddy Stinson Jr  who was known as an early aviation pioneer and his company the Stinson aircraft company which must have been located here in the  cotton fields behind me.

I am  getting  the chills now and its not from Becky's burger;
its a  small world so here is my connection.
My grandfather left Times Picayune and came up to New York to be an aviation reporter for the tabloids  back in the 30's and  knew this guy ;
( somewhere I have  pictures of the  two of them ) .
Why I pulled in here I know not
Perhaps its  because I had to make a piss stop; perhaps  its because of Becky;,s
but somehow its full circle and I will try to  make sense of it that is  once I am delivered out  from  the lands of Egypt
. Py

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html