In a message dated 1/4/2008 2:00:49 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm uncomfortable with the idea of living in "a liquid _hydrocarbon_
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocarbon)  that is commercially
> manufactured from
> _petroleum_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum) ."  Benzene is used in
> the production of polystyrene and that creeps me out too.
>
> I'm not,
> "looking for kudo's from   the granola and windmill  society and the
> amalgamated brotherhood
> of  Tofu, Birkenstocks, and Panama red"

That's OK ; you just answered "why" of "who what where and why" for
structures;
 so you want an environmentally friendly  green structure;
Hat bale and something called "Cobble " are two popular building methods;
cobble is more or less adobe .
..you need however for the long run a dry climate ..and a concrete foundation

..but you mix straw and clay mud together  with a bob cat on a driveway (this
is particular as to which  and how much mud you use and which straw) plus you
can add type s lime, gravel and so on; place into a form; or mold into
blocks; then here is that word again  you "stucco"  but cobble  has a long setting
time
 I will forward the title of the cobblers bible and also one on Hay Bale when
I get out back to my studio  .....but you still could do poured walls with
slip forms using lime mortar (which is green) or use even natural cement,  but
with all this stuff  TEST....if it was easy and cheap and worked well
everybody would be doing it ....I too would be concerned about polystyrene if I was
exposed to it; but encapsulated under stucco I don't see it as a problem .....Py

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.