Have active practitioners noticed anything between the rafters?
Yes, I've frequently come into contact with the secret insulation material, the special combination of which is now apparently lost in time - the mysterious mixture of raccoon and squirrel poop that was spread between ceiling framing members...

Twybil

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:33 am
Subject: Re: [BP] The Sustainability of the Puritan way

In a message dated 12/9/2007 8:21:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Leland writes:
"Ševen a modest house required at least twelve tons of woodŠ..the average
seventeenth-century New England house consumed fifteen cords, or 1,920
cubic feet, of wood per year, meaning that a town of two hundred homes
depended on the deforestation of as many as seventy-five acres per year."

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

And Ruth writes "that's about right".

So our forebearers had every reason to insulate their houses - even more than we! - whether by double-glazing, hollow deer-hair, recycled corn cobs, or whatever.  Yet I never see any reference to such measures.  Have active practitioners noticed anything between the rafters?

Christopher

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html