From: This conversation may be monitored for quality control. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 3:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] white brick

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 2:41 pm
Subject: [BP] white brick

Co-op at 71st and Fifth Avenue, ca. 1960, is replacing its white glazed brick facade, due to the usual failures.  In this case they have chosen ... white glazed brick.

question 1:  why are there little raised black specks on the glaze? To make it look interesting,  But not very.

question 2:  is currently produced white glazed brick better than the 1960 version? It MAY be. Glazed brick wasn't well understood back then and is GENERALLY better understood now.  The question is whether the current a/e specified and the manufacturer provided a GOOD brick which will not be overly water-absorbent and will therefore be frost resistant or were the failures due to maintenance? Not a maint issue. The old brick absorbed too much water, which got stuck behind the glaze, froze and spalled.

Ralph

See what's free at AOL.com.
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html

The information in this email and any attachments may contain

confidential information that is intended solely for the

attention and use of the named addressee(s). This message or

any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or

retained by any person without authorization from the addressee.

If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender

immediately, and delete this message.