"Disabling in the BIOS" was in reference to an onboard,
(integrated), audio chipset soldered to the MB...
Only you will know if you have that, OR a regular plug-in
sound card (in an ISA or PCI slot).
Since you can't "pull the chipset" with a built-in sound chip,
you can only use the BIOS to turn it off... That will allow the
drivers for it to be removed (more completely) in the Device
Manager. I assumed you knew where that was since you said
you did things similar in there to try to solve this problem.

To put that in perspective, you need to either turn off sound
support in the BIOS, OR pull any sound card out of the computer.
(While the computer is off and protected against static, etc.)

Then Boot to SafeMode and remove ALL sound devices in
DeviceManager.  ONLY do that if you have the proper drivers
handy to replace them with AND if you have the manufactures
instructions on how to install them.
While there, delete all "unknown devices", and re-boot a couple
times (without a sound device) and see if any "unknown devices"
return. If they do, (and the "sound" has been disabled as described
above), then it would seem something else is causing that part of
the problem...

This may sound somewhat like what I said last time, but I am
re-sending it as a newly created (from scratch) message to try to
state it a little differently with a different spin on it. (Hope that helps.)

                                            Rick Glazier

From: "Rowena Montgomery">

--
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>