> Experienced users may (or may not) want to give control of this feature
> directly to MS, but from your question, I think this would be the correct
> setting for making things "easier" for you, and protect your computer
> better...

  I agree that this setting is probably pretty good for most home users.
  I tend to keep programs running on my machine for several days at a time,
so it's important to me that reboots happen when *I* want, and not just
because MS updated something.  So I use the "Notify me when updates are
available" setting.
  (I had one server that was mysteriously rebooting itself every night,
losing the work that should have gone on.  I finally determined that
Automatic Update had got fully enabled, and that some specific update was
trying every night to install, failing, but triggering a reboot as if it had
succeeded.  The update installed manually just fine, so I don't know what
its problem was, but ever since I don't trust Microsoft to make that
decision on its own.)

David Gillett

On 25 Sep 2006 at 10:26, Rick Glazier wrote:

> Click on the following:
>
> Hit the START button,
> Control Panel,
> Security Center,
> On the Automatic Updates line, Click just to the left of where it
> says, "Check Settings" (click once or twice). You want the box
> to expand so you can see the more detailed view...)
> IF there is a button that says "Turn On Automatic Updates", press it...
> Experienced users may (or may not) want to give control of this feature
> directly to MS, but from your question, I think this would be the correct
> setting for making things "easier" for you, and protect your computer
> better...
>
> Running "your" firewall or other Security programs is "too specific" for me
> to answer, since I do not have or use, and have never seen those programs...
>
> Getting your system patched, and up to the current service pack level
> is a very good start...
>
>                                                         Rick Glazier
>
> From: "holly hamilton",
> > I've never posted before; I hope this is the right way to do this...
> > I wanted to just ask all of you on this topic to please write more! I am
> > very interested to read what you have to say.  I have just reformatted my
> > computer with XP home media center edition, I have no idea about service
> > packs.  And the machine works fine.
>
>              PCSOFT maintains many useful files for download

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml