With the pointing of old brick, typically the spec.’s call for caulking of the bottom joint (at the reglet or through flashing).  With time, I have found that the caulk may move, but the brick spauls.  The mortar may not stick to the flashing, but if done right, water gets out, not in.  So, I like mortar.

Best,

Leland

Leland R. S. Torrence

Leland Torrence Enterprises and the Guild

17 Vernon Court, Woodbridge, CT  06525

Office:  203-397-8505

Fax:  203-389-7516

Pager:  860-340-2174