I must say that all I remember of the Fulton St mall is the cheap kids clothes and all the bling-bling for sale before there was bling-bling.  Not sure I ever ventured into the A&S - maybe another thing that rubbed off on me from ][<en.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Met History
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 13:07
Subject: [BP] ?Curved revolving doors?

Went to downtown Brooklyn today to the old Abraham & Straus complex yesterday, a varying but high quality mix of Victorian cast iron, romanesque brownstone and iron spot brick and European expressionist art deco, all fighting for air on the tinny hubbub of the cheap stores ("JIMMY JAZZZ!!") on the Fulton Mall, the struggling Great Society-type conversion of Fulton Street into a pedestrian mall.

Notwithstanding the original vision, Fulton is still a strip of low-income/no-income stores, most of which have plastered all sorts of crap over perfectly competent 19th and early 20th century retail buildings, but that crime is hardly unique to the Borough of Churches.