From: Pre-patinated plastic gumby block w/ coin slot [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 7:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] Histo Presto Content

It's that time of year when I ask my legitimate question again:

I have a guy who, in the summer of 2001, installed a 600# rooftop-mounted air conditioning unit on a very low-slope (1/8" per foot) roof, for a Private Eye who had recently bought a building built about 1800.   The 1800 section has a gable roof, and is abutted by a low-slope addition dating from 1850 or so; the low slope area pitches down from the eave of the gabled section.  The a/c was installed on a section of roof about 6x12', dating from c. 1915, which filled in a recess on one side of the building; my .

A month or so after installing the ac unit, the Private Eye claims his roof started to leak; our guy schmeared (this schmear's for you, Ruth) some tar on the roof in the area, but the leak continued.  There were some additional attempts to repair it, with no reported success.  Finally after 2 years the Private Eye calls in A Architect, who tells him that the roof framing is barely adequate to support the roof, much less this monster a/c unit, and it all needs to be torn out and reframed.  The architect also reports that this nearly flat roof has deflected, causing seams in the roll roofing below the a/c to open, that the open seams have leaked onto the framing, and that the framing is rotting.

Seems to me that 2 years is too soon for rot to begin under these circumstances; I wouldn't argue with rot after 5 or 10 years.  However, given 1) the low slope of the roof, 2) the inadequate framing, 3) the presence of a drain in (rather than a gutter next to) this section of infill roofing, 4) the fact that rain and snow runoff from the adjacent gable roof dump onto this low slope roof and can only drain slowly from it, it seems very likely to me that this water penetration, and the resulting rot, predates the air conditioner installation.  I should add that the rot and original framing has all been replaced (so I can't see anything myself), along with interior finishes. The Private Eye claims this cost him 35 grand, but he wants my air conditioner guy to pay him something like $55 grand, on an air conditioning job for which the Private Eye paid $13K.

Do any of you geniuses out there have any information on how quickly rot forms?

Thanks.

Ralph