From: EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 8:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: White House Conference on Aging, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to you in my position as Chair of the Library Service to an Aging Population Committee, of the Reference and User Services Association (a division of the American Library Association).

President Bush has called for the next White House Conference on Aging (WHCOA) to be held in Washington, DC, on October 23-26, 2005.

WHCOA Policy Committee Chair Dorcas R. Hardy urges the conference to look at aging in terms of today and tomorrow. “We must identify emerging trends and make appropriate recommendations to help our nation prepare for the changes anticipated over the next decade.”

In addition to addressing the issues of today’s elders, the 2005 Conference (http://www.whcoa.gov/) will, for the first time, have a mandated focus on the 76 million baby boomers whose aging will change the face of America.

At each of the previous White House Conferences on Aging (1961, 1971, 1981 and 1995), the Library Service to an Aging Population Committee has been a catalyst working within ALA and with other interested library groups and organizations to take an active role in the promotion of services and programs that libraries provide to older adults and their families.

This upcoming conference will be no different!  Already in place to help plan are staff and representatives from the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA), the Office of Literacy and Outreach Services (OLOS) and the Public Library Association (PLA).

Our planning and strategy session is scheduled at ALA Midwinter Boston on Friday, January 14th from 8:30am-11:30am prior to the Midwinter Conference.  It is a working meeting that will include Committee members, liaisons from other Divisions within ALA, ALA Staff, representatives from library related organizations as well as other interested participants.

At this meeting we expect to discuss plans for a variety of activities to take place throughout 2005, leading up to and including a forum on “Libraries, Lifelong Learning, Information and Older Adults” to be held prior to the Annual Conference in Chicago on Friday, June 24th, from 8:30am-11:30am.  A report of the outcome from this forum will include recommendations to go forward to the WHCOA in October.

For some background from the past WHCOA in 1995, I would suggest that you take a look at the recommendations at:  Towards the White House Conference on Aging:  Defining Priorities and Policies for Library and Information Services for Older Adults, February 3, 1995.  This can be found at: http://www.nclis.gov/libraries/whcoarec.html.

The activities associated with a WHCOA only happen once every ten years.  This is an opportunity for all of us to get the word out to the aging community, policy makers and Congress that “libraries make a difference in the lives of millions older adults!”  It’s time we let more people know, don’t you think?

I hope that you or someone from your organization will be able to join us for this important meeting. Please RSVP to me by December 13th at:  [log in to unmask] with a cc: to [log in to unmask].

If I can answer any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or call.  I look forward in seeing you in Boston on Friday, January 14th!

Sincerely,

Allan

Allan M. Kleiman

Chair, RUSA Library Service to an Aging Population Committee

C/o Westfield Memorial Library

550 East Broad Street

Westfield, NJ 07090

908-789-4090, x4122