From: This isn`t an orifice, it`s help with fluorescent lighting. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Met History
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 9:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BP] So, are all sandstones alike?

"All happy families are happy alike, all unhappy families are unhappy in their own way."
Leo Tolstoy,  Anna Karenina

I have always admired the dense, olive-colored graining of Nova Scotia sandstone, which complements so nicely tan and straw colored brick.  It was in frequent use in New York City in the 1870's and 1880's by "educated" architects like Henry Hardenbergh, as on his Dakota apartment house.  From this I infer that Nova Scotia was more expensive.

Sandstone.   Brownstone is sandstone.  Are all sandstones - whether happy or unhappy - alike?  The surviving examples of NS sandstone are in pretty good shape, far better than the typical example of brownstone.

But is this perhaps a flawed sample - that is, the more expensive projects (using NS) simply had more budget for better quality sandstone?   Or is NS itself "better" than brownstone?   If so, what is it that makes brownstone so much worse than NS?   Do our northern neighbors - of whatever province - even have any brownstone?

Christopher