In a message dated 11/17/03 6:35:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> I once worked for company that was run by such a man.  The company was
> Wellman Power Gas.  Mr. Wellman visited us one day.  He was dressed
> completely in white: white suit, white cowboy hat, white cowboy boots,
> white dress shirt, white tie, apparently white undershirt.  One can
> presume that other, hidden, articles of clothing were white.  He
> arrived driving a white Cadillac with a white interior and white
> tires.  Not white sidewall tires; the tires were completely white.

Steve,

In the past I've been led to the honored conclusion that you always tell
the truth... now I'm wondering.
This sounds like an albino Paul Bunyan tale to me!

][<en
][<en:

No, he didn't come with a Blue Ox.  But it is possible that his clothes were washed in OxyClean.  They couldn't have been washed in the site groundwater, although it was blue.  And red.  But not oxygenated.  The color was due to some kind of reaction between the native, brackish swamp water, dissolved fertilizers from WWII shipping, spilled sulfuric acid, and unknown components X, Y, and Z.  Between the groundwater, over-easy breakfast eggs, and the epoxy I used to set rebars, I had contact dermatitis on my fingers for 10 years.

The place was Olin Chemical Company, Curtis Bay, Md.  The date was 1972.  The job was to install SO2 and SO3 precipitators on the stack at the oleum plant.  Delightful environment; oleum (fuming sulfuric acid) rained from the sky.  It was fascinating to see the effect of oleum rain upon one's clothes.  And to see the effect upon the Hertz rental pickup truck, which slowly had it's red paint and sheetmetal pockmarked from the oleum and sulfuric acid "rain".  Wellman parked his Caddy about 1,000 feet away from the stack.  I doubt that he parked there for any reason other than to have a short walk to the jobsite trailer.  An example of serendipitous preservation.

Steve Stokowski
Stone Products Consultants
Building Products Microscopy
10 Clark St., Ste. A