It's a cultural thing Mr RLWALTR.  There was a plague of Jeremyishness
in New Zealand in the latter stages of WW II, and some of us ended up
scarred for life with the marks.  There was no known treatment for this
at the time, and I often reflect on life's dirty tricks, thinking I
could have been a Zane, Xavier, Clint, Ken - or even Ralph (or is that
Rafe?).

I've already introduced myself on Bullamanka - about 3 years ago - but
the announcement was received with all the effervescence of a lead
balloon.  But for those few who omitted to archive my auto-introduction:
I'm an architect in private practice in Devonport, Auckland - one of
earth's favoured places.  I was converted to preservation around 1988,
fortuitously encouraged by a visit from the remarkable Henry Chambers.
My company has managed to make a respectable living from this stuff
since then, and the place of heritage and the business of its
conservation have become dangerously mainstream in the past 4 or 5
years.

I delivered a paper on one of my projects (the 1841 Pompallier Printing
House) at one of the APT conferences, and this was subsequently
published in the APT journal.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly normal (apart
from being named Jeremy).

I've cast myself on the collective bosom again in the hope that it
remains more active - if less technically specific - than
Preservation_L, which seems to have enjoyed a post mortem spasm in the
past 24 hours.  The fact is, although I'm desperately and unrepentantly
foreign, I have always rather enjoyed my conversations with North
American colleagues, and these discussions tide me over between APT
meetings (I've been to 4 in the past ten years).

So forgive me if I listen in to savour the flavour of the discussions
(you'll note I can't spell either), and if you don't mind, I'll just
lurk away quietly for a while.  If you need to know more - my waist size
etc - just let me know.

Jeremy (the first)

Salmond Reed Architects
58 Calliope Road