A question for Mr. Follett on the issue of international lurking. Was Jeremy penalized for his self acknowledged lurking or was his removal an act of mercy?

Currently a domestic lurker.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Activity on the Preservation-L list?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:50:58 +1300
From: Jeremy Salmond <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Message

Relocation is increasingly regarded as an acceptable conservation practice in New Zealand, partly because it has always been part of our history, but mainly because it deals with the problem of buildings which are in the way of "progress".  Many people seem not to understand the importance of "place", and that this is a key ingredient of cultural significance in our heritage.  So often, the significance of a building or structure relies on its qualities of representativeness and ordinariness - in that place.  The mere existence of an "outdoor museum" encourages people to proceed on the basis that relocation will solve all practical and preservation problems.

Historically, in this country, buildings were moved from place to place for pragmatic reasons, and that is an important part of our heritage.  This is recognised in the ICOMOS New Zealand Charter for the Conservation of Places of Cultural Heritage Value" (http://www.icomos.org.nz/).  But it is a different matter to use this technique as a primary means of preservation, except as a method of last resort.  The fact that it is technically possible to do so in a country where timber frame construction is the predominant domestic form of construction further encourages the practice (and  as architects, we've been part of this process ourselves).

It's wonderful to see the list animated again - even if only briefly.  I've been encouraged and gratified in the past by responses to technical questions, and now have spasmodic correspondence with some of our colleagues in North America (hi John).  I recall when the conversations were frequent, reflective and often jocose, but some of that seemed to be siphoned off to Bullamanka Pinheads.  I subscribed to that list too, but I think I was kicked off for lurking and not participating.  And then, after September 2001, it all seemed to fall silent?

It's important to see heritage conservation/preservation as a professional activity at an international level.  While we all should talk to colleagues in our own counties, there is so much to be gained from correspondence across national boundaries.  I hope this continues.  I've been a member of APT (APT-I ?) for about ten years, but ironically, although adopting the "international" suffix, I have a greater sense of non-inclusion than when I first joined.  I'm sure that's my own fault, but it would be a less acute paranoia if chatlists like this were more active.

with kind regards to all

Jeremy Salmond

14 Glen Road
Devonport