Apple to Create Screen Reader for the Blind
Since the lack of a Macintosh screen reader was discussed here, I thought this might be of interest.

Kelly

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Barrett, Don
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 12:02 PM
Subject: [UACCESS-L] Apple to Create Screen Reader for the Blind

Interesting!

From URL:
http://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/wa/jobDescription?RequisitionID=2017829

Full text follows.
--
Title:  Screen Reader Application Engineer
Req. ID: 2017829
Location: Santa Clara Valley, California
Country: United States

Do you want to join the team that develops the Mac OS X software and applications? Do you want to work on a brand new application for Mac OS X? Have you been looking for a challenging new project to work on? If so, then this is the group for you.

We are looking for a Software developer responsible for the design, implementation and testing of a Screen Reader application on Mac OS X that needs to be built from scratch. The application will convert all on-screen data (text, objects and controls) to speech or Braille enabling a blind or partially signed user to use a Mac. The application will utilize various technologies in the OS including accessibility, speech, web browsers and text. As part of developing the screen reader application, the engineer is responsible for communicating and driving new APIs in other parts of the OS required to develop the application.

We're looking for two types of people:
1) A software engineer with experience developing accessibility/assistive technology applications (such as a screen reader or magnifier). OS X experience is preferred, but not required with this expertise.

2) If you don't have the accessibility expertise, then we'd like to hire a solid OS X applications engineer who has designed and developed complicated applications. Design experience is key here, as well as strong API development experience.

Required Experience:
* BSCS or equivalent.
* 4-10 years experience in developing complicated applications for accessibility technology or OS X.
* A strong C, C++ and/or Objective C developer on Mac or Unix, but Windows is acceptable with the accessibility expertise.

* Strong design skills of applications.
* Strong debugging skills.
* Strong communication skills.
* Track record of innovation and excellence in earlier assignments.

Preferred Experience:
* Knowledge of accessibility requirements is a plus.
* Familiarity with the Cocoa and/or Project Builder.

Please email me at [log in to unmask] or apply online. Thanks!