OK, I haven't been keeping up on this thread (busybusybusy), but I assume you're talking about the Old Man.  Why is it big news that Washington's nose needs maintenance - a manmade change to a rock formation, but most people have never heard of the Old Man so it doesn't become news until he's gone?
-----Original Message-----
From: "Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of John Callan
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 10:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Here's who I'm thinking of....

Maybe I'm just slow, but isn't a good thing that people realize that some beloved stuff goes away no matter what you do, and that some stuff goes away because of what isn't done? I'm not claiming that this rock formation could have or should have been maintained, only that other things will disappear if they are not maintained, and its good that people who love stuff understand that its all temporal.

Sure a hooligraphic restoration would be cool. But I'd leave that to those hooligans with hooligraphic skills. I'd rather see a stone mason working with stone...unless he's still sore from building chimneys, in which case it would be nice to seem him teaching and supervising.

-jc

(Name that mood?! I can't.)

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 09:37 AM, Ken Follett wrote:

Holographic restoration is what we need for the old man. A grand light show with artificial snow and an outcropping of those fake conifers that hide cells.