From: "Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Follett
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 5:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Klenztone????

Are any of you stone guys familar with Klenztone cleaning chemicals?
One of there products uses a special formula of floride salts.

Mitch,

I'm quite familiar with the materials and have used them to good effect but am a bit peeved about their lack of truth in advertising. Despite the fact that the advertising states that the chemicals contain no acids the flouride salts turn to hydroflouric acid when they encounter water. According to my materials handbook hydroflouric acid is used in cleaning cast iron castings by dissolving the sand from the castings. What this means for sandstone I think should be self evident. What it means to the Lincoln Memorial, I assume of granite, is possibly less shocking. I would certainly NOT use it on limestone or marble. What gets me with suppliers of chemical cleaning solutions is that they will say that their materials were used in this place, or that, but they will not tell you the truth of the long term results, or what is really needed to know in order to do no harm. I feel that Klenztone is the worse of any in this regard. In the past I've asked Klenztone (directly asked of Klenztone and NOT of any of their suppliers who usually have no idea what they are selling) to give us names of buildings where their products were used in order to revisit the locations in order to determine if the masonry was acid burned, or not. It is when manufacturers are not up front with their information that I begin to suspect ALL of their marketing hype. The "no acids" caveat is one that will catch out preservationists seeking a non-acidic cleaning methodology... well, when you use their product it does look good. It has to be used with the same care, skill and attention as would be used when cleaning masonry with any acidic cleaner. But if your chemistry and science in the beginning exluded the use of acids, then I think it a really lousy deception to pretend that acids are not being used with Klenztone.

My first phone conversatin with Martin Weaver was to ask him about Klenztone, and my naive remark that the material contained no acids and I wanted to know how it could possibly clean masonry. His comment, in brief, was that he did not know of any masonry cleaners that would not contain acids. I went away imagining that he would think I was a complete dolt. Some time later I spent an afternoon drinking ale with him and Bobby Watt in a dive in Ottawa and found out Martin is a very very nice guy, a bit hilarious in humor and an out-of-the-box free range nut case.

][<en