From: When I'm in NH I'm a tourist. Ruth [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Met History
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 5:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: "how much longing and crying out"

I've done the portrait of M. Gachet with a melancholy expression ... I had to paint it like that to convey how much expression and passion there is in our present day heads, in comparison with the old calm portraits, and how much longing and crying out.

Vincent van Gogh, 1890, a month before his suicide