Ralph -

One more time, slower and with feeling...

I've responded some more in the posting below, but have included the drawing again, for reference....

                      quoins

east                          V          west
--------------------------------------------| south
|                   |       ||              |
S                   |       ||              |
|                   L_______||              |
|                   crack ->||              |
|            new            ||              |
|                     hall  ||      old     |
S                           ||              |
|                   crack ->||              |
----------------------------||              |
                   lintel   ||              |
                            ||              | north
                             ^
                            18" thick

All exterior walls also 18" thick - just wanted to indicate where the interior one is.