Ralph -

I've put my answers, below.  Thanks for your ideas.

- Pam

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Walter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 1:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pam's house is a very very very nice house, with two cracks i n
the wall..

Pam,

Thanks for the pix.  My guess remains differential settlement, although
there could also be some weird stuff happening below the line where the two
roofs meet, due to lateral thrust (I think it's thrust, and will have
everybody jumping down my throat soon enough if it's not thrust) on the
walls imposed by the roof framing at the tops of the walls.   The roof was
replaced, including joists, about 5 years ago - I remember driving by when
the work was being done.  The replacement was to the entire house.  The last
time I looked up in the "attic", which is tough to get to from our bedroom
closet - it looked OK to me.  However, I wasn't looking too closely at the
connection from there.

Having said all that, am I correct in assuming that the problem on the front
of the house is in the wall (along the quoins)  to the left of the front
door, and at the back where the 2 masonry wings meet?  And is there still a
masonry wall between the two wings, or has  it been removed?   The
cobblestone wall between the 2 sections still exists.  There are two
standard size 18" thick doorway arches (no door) on the first floor, and one
on the second floor.  On both floors, the floor of the old section is a step
up from the new section.

Do you have any close-up detail photos of whatever cracks there are that are
visible on the exterior?   I wasn't clear in my original post - the cracks
outside are radial ones around the windows, and are minor.  The CRACKS of
the year are on interior walls.  That's why I was saying I don't happen to
have any interior pictures to show the cracks.   Are the cracks wider at the
top of the wall than at the bottom, or vice versa?   The cracks look to have
started at the top of the wall and run down it.  One looks like it's curving
out from the wall where it meets at the corner.   Worse at the front than
the rear, or vice versa?   Are you getting water penetration to the interior
at or near the cracks?   Not that we have noticed - for instance, we don't
notice any moisture on the interior walls, nor in the basement or as best we
can see in the crawl space.   My guess is that rather than fooling around
with these guys' mortar mixes, you should just caulk the damn crack, since
whether it's moving or not, it needs to be filled (to keep the weather out;
pointing the crack isn't going to give you any structural value to speak
of), and caulk is easier to do and will expand/contract, or just sit there,
as required.   Yes, the outside certainly needs something so any damage
(past and future) is avoided.  However, I would prefer if we can hold off
until spring for the minor exterior cracks, then I can find a mason who can
match the mortar colour - ][<en once told me the term for this, but I don't
recall it.  The colour is toward the yellow, and I think caulk would reduce
the aesthetics and value of the work.  One of those "it ain't worth doin' if
it ain't done right" philosophies.

Lastly, do you have any sense of whether the cracks gotten appreciably wider
in the recent past, or have they been there for 100-- or 150-- years?
There might be a few more radial cracks since we moved in, but I'm not
positive.  The interior cracks in question either were there when we moved
in (but small), or they are new since we moved in.  It's because we have
only lived there 3 years that the growth of these cracks concerns me.  If
they are the product of differential settlement, why would it be so great
now compared to the assumed past 160 years?  I do not think this is new
plaster that's finally aging - it has a pretty old look to the components of
it.  If it were new, I have a feeling the prior owners (who put in a couple
drop ceilings) would have just put up sheetrock if they had done any work of
that sort.  They spent all their money on the roof.

Let the second guessing begin!

Ralph