Why we preserve has no one single answer.  The subject, of much debate, is a complicated one at best due in part to the diverse constituency and fields of expertise that has immersed itself in preserving the material culture of American's past.  I am likely being presumptious, however, I am going to assume your friend means preserving the built environment (ie. historic structures).  There is much written about "how" and "what" and "where" buildings are preserved, but the question of "why" begs people to dig into their psyche, political and economic affiliations etc etc.   Saying "we do it because we like old stuff" doesn't cut it.

Try:   Mystic Chords of Memory: The Transformation of Tradition in American Culture by Michael Kammen. 1991, 1993.
Domesticating History: The Political Origins of America's House Museums. by Patricia West.  1999.
In Praise of Commercial Culture.  by Tyler Cowen. 1998
Preserving Historic New England:  Preservation, Progressivism,and the Remaking of Memory. by James M. Lindgren. 1995

Start with Kammen.

Candy Brashears

In a message dated 11/18/02 7:45:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> The subject line says it all: a law school classmate of mine
> (talked with her at the recent reunion) wants a book that
> makes the case for preservation being a good idea.  Not just
> the economics but the philosophy.  I vaguely recall something
> by Robert Sipe or Stipe?  Please advise.

Robert Stipe, editor, and my friend from down the road in Chapel Hill.
_The American Mosaic_ is probably the title you are thinking of; not
necessarily a "philosophy" but more a college level text for a broad
overview of the preservation movement in the U.S, which includes some
"why we do this." The original paean from the 60s that first
crystallized preservation philosophy (SAT question: ________ is to
preservation movement as "Silent Spring" is to environmental movement?)
in the U.S. is _With Heritage So Rich_.