From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:19:57 EDT
Subject: Re: Last One Standing
To: [log in to unmask]
Sender: [log in to unmask]

--part1_19e.99f0599.2ac99b6d_boundary

As far as I saw in the testimonies and paperwork we picked up, not a single
historic preservationist provided any information for the hearings regarding
the destruction of the 1894 Whittier School and the vintage houses behind it.
 I know several of them care about the school and the negative changes that
will occur all around it when torn down, so am not sure what happened.  Three
people testified in person, 6 others sent in testimony.  In the development
approval papers the city only recorded 3 parties of record.

The oak tree they are going to kill for the parking garage entrance is
magnificent.  The developers have been harassing the old woman across the
street to force her to sell to them.  All those headlights are designed to
shine into her house, the developers smirking that she won't be there much
longer.  You can bet the P & Z Commissioners wouldn't have allowed this to
happen to themselves or to their family members.

The highway district slipped their hearing on the issue past us, didn't even
do a staff report, just approved the destruction without considering the fact
that these streets are already over traffic capacity - or even that they are
in a national historic district and a local conservation district.  Our city
hall is full of developer's reps, as is the highway district.  Lots of talk
of payola in this city.  Too much money with this massive growth rate.

There was a recent citizens' effort to dissolve the highway district, but
they called in favors with the big money development pacs and everyone was
scared off before the public hearing.  Only one couple on the petition even
showed up to testify, against a roomful of big name developers.  It was a
party atmosphere when it should have been treated as serious business, but
apparently they were celebrating the decision before it was official.  I
wasn't part of the petition, didn't know about it until it hit the news, but
still received several threatening attacks to keep me away.  This is the
environment in this city for most people trying to protect community quality
or even try to get them to follow the comprehensive plan and adopted
policies.  Lots of scared people, which is why the hearings are so poorly
attended.

They've scheduled the hearing for the second block of destruction for this
Wednesday - at noon - so very few people can attend.  I don't think the media
has even published a date for that hearing, or listed any of the issues.  The
neighborhood association recently got creamed in court by the City, on yet
another approval based on broken agreements, so they haven't even sent out
notices to the neighborhood about the hearing dates or issues.  The Cathedral
of the Rockies church is the developer, with several of our officials as
members.  A shining example of 'do unto others', along with community and
family values.

--part1_19e.99f0599.2ac99b6d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>As far as I saw in the testimonies and paperwork we picked up, not a single historic preservationist provided any information for the hearings regarding the destruction of the 1894 Whittier School and the vintage houses behind it. &nbsp;I know several of them care about the school and the negative changes that will occur all around it when torn down, so am not sure what happened. &nbsp;Three people testified in person, 6 others sent in testimony. &nbsp;In the development approval papers the city only recorded 3 parties of record.
<BR>
<BR>The oak tree they are going to kill for the parking garage entrance is magnificent. &nbsp;The developers have been harassing the old woman across the street to force her to sell to them. &nbsp;All those headlights are designed to shine into her house, the developers smirking that she won't be there much longer. &nbsp;You can bet the P &amp; Z Commissioners wouldn't have allowed this to happen to themselves or to their family members.
<BR>
<BR>The highway district slipped their hearing on the issue past us, didn't even do a staff report, just approved the destruction without considering the fact that these streets are already over traffic capacity - or even that they are in a national historic district and a local conservation district. &nbsp;Our city hall is full of developer's reps, as is the highway district. &nbsp;Lots of talk of payola in this city. &nbsp;Too much money with this massive growth rate. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>There was a recent citizens' effort to dissolve the highway district, but they called in favors with the big money development pacs and everyone was scared off before the public hearing. &nbsp;Only one couple on the petition even showed up to testify, against a roomful of big name developers. &nbsp;It was a party atmosphere when it should have been treated as serious business, but apparently they were celebrating the decision before it was official. &nbsp;I wasn't part of the petition, didn't know about it until it hit the news, but still received several threatening attacks to keep me away. &nbsp;This is the environment in this city for most people trying to protect community quality or even try to get them to follow the comprehensive plan and adopted policies. &nbsp;Lots of scared people, which is why the hearings are so poorly attended.
<BR>
<BR>They've scheduled the hearing for the second block of destruction for this Wednesday - at noon - so very few people can attend. &nbsp;I don't think the media has even published a date for that hearing, or listed any of the issues. &nbsp;The neighborhood association recently got creamed in court by the City, on yet another approval based on broken agreements, so they haven't even sent out notices to the neighborhood about the hearing dates or issues. &nbsp;The Cathedral of the Rockies church is the developer, with several of our officials as members. &nbsp;A shining example of 'do unto others', along with community and family values. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_19e.99f0599.2ac99b6d_boundary--