I agree with U Petra. When I read something in Braille it is almost like parallel input, meaning I comprehend clusters and groupings of words as whole ideas and concepts. Whereas, when I read something strictly auditorially it is like serial input, meaning it is one word at a time and I have to make a conscious effort to concentrate. I've also noticed that the more I use auditory input (speech on the computer) and the less I use Braille, my dreams have become less visual and have fewer visual images. So, I believe that reading Braille does stimulate the visual cortex of the brain. It's like exercising a muscle, the more you exercise a muscle the bigger and stronger it becomes. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-----Original Message-----
From: Petra Ritter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 7:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reconnecting with the dots

I think every blind person should be given the chance to have a
assessment in Braille  so that one can decide whether the person can or
want learn Braille. I think it is not right if fully sighted people
decide in general blind people should use sound in any kind to "read".

I have recognised that I take in more details of a text if I read it as
if I listen to it even I am not a good braillist

Petra