Karamba,

Thank you for this sobering piece. The idea for the police escort meant to provide the peace and calm running away is unimaginable and unacceptable. Ghaddafi (Libya's) Shurta Sha'abiyya employed the same tactics when Libyans wantonly killed all people of dark skin. Often, the Shurta (police) will show up well in advance of a melee as a token gardien de paix (guardian of peace) to the surprise of all that there might be possible violence (of course organised with their knowledge). As soon as skirmishes begin, they would retire discreetly from the scene with the excuse of fear for their safety.

With such banditry within the police and law enforcement, the idea of a parallel police unit to safeguard the people and resources must be looked at seriously. It is without precedent, and albeit escalating in rift-value, the state of affairs leading to the non-election has warranted such. Constitutionally speaking, there is provision for such. Buried within the text of all constitutions (witness their need) is the presumptive trust of all partners to the constitution, that all powers vested in the police will be professionally exercised without bias, favour, or fear of their lives in place of the lives of the citizens they are sworn to protect. Any abrogation of such trust disinvests the police of their constitutional powers. Then, and only then, an interim or adhoc citizens' brigade can assume those powers and serve, by notice of law as the protective corps.

Neighboring countries will be made aware of such a state of affairs so that they may prepare their police for any potential of spillover. I suggest Senegal be advised of this state of affairs. Further, countries with citizens in Gambia such as Great Britain, Guinea Bissau and Conakry, Sierra Leone, Mali, Nigeria, Ghana, The United States, the Vatican, India, Pakistan, and Lebanon must be directly contacted and satisfied as to the protection of their citizens.

We must not wait for news of terror and terroristic tendencies to alert us.

Sincerely,

Haruna.