It is known that some devices
(such as the creative 128bit sound card will conflict with the gigabyte
motherboard with the old phoienx bios) This is similiar to what u are
witnessing. Simply remove the modem from the PCI slot and put it in
another one. SImple
BYE
Daniel Skilleter
Pacpacific Australia
Wholesale PC and Peripherals

>From: Bharat Ale <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Modem SM56 installation problem
>Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:24:50 +0530
>
>PCBUILD Digest - 6 Jun 2001 to 7 Jun 2001 (#2001-159)Hi all,
>
>SM56 is a cheap PCI internal modem using Motorola chipset. I have installed
>several of them without problem in many machines. But I am having problem
>installing one in a Celeron 333 computer. The modem works fine in other
>machine but when I install it in this particular machine it gets
>autodetected and installed with right drivers but doesn't work (modem
>failed
>to response). I think its IRQ conflict - I have disabled COM2 in BIOS and
>hence the modem works in COM2 grabbing IRQ12 automatically. I tried to
>force
>it use some other IRQ but it always grabs IRQ12 everytime ( I reserved
>IRQ12
>from device manager, assigned IRQ12 to Legacy ISA in BIOS etc) but it
>always
>takes IRQ12 which is taken by PCI Steering also.
>
>I have removed sound cards and other most probable conflcting devices and
>drivers but have not succeeded in making this modem work in this particular
>computer. I am very much sure its conflcting with something else on the
>computer.
>
>Also in this same computer, whenever the main voltage fluctuates and UPS
>kicks in, the keyboard doesn't work any more. Either the keyboard has to be
>disconnected and reconnected again or the computer has to be restarted.
>
>Any advice is appreciated. I am in digest mode, so a copy of mail directly
>to me is helpful.
>
>Bharat
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: