From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:40:16 -0800
Knott,C.
(1998). Changes in orangutan diet, caloric intake and ketones in
 response to fluctuating fruit availability. Int J Primatol 19: 1061-1079.

Apparently apes go low carb for much of every year as fruit is seasonal even in the rain forest.  This poor guy followed treetop apes gathering their urine to test with keto sticks after they pissed on him ( and you thought your job sucked).  Although all individuals showed ketosis, pregnant and nursing females showed the highest levels.

Ray Audette