From:
Brad Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 14:43:51 -0800
When my pc is downloading a page from the internet, I find that
when I
try to do something in the background that involves the mouse
(click on
a file to request it, try to paste info into a file,ect.) I most
often
have to click several times before the clicks do anything.I only
began
noticing this over the past month or two, but it could be that it
was
always like this. (Pentium 75, 32Meg RAM).
 I suspect that this might be happening because I have the modem
set up
as COM 2, which I think has a higher priority IRQ than COM 1. The
mouse
will work after several clicks, even while the page is being
downloaded.
Is this because I happen to click the mouse when the serial port
buffer
is empty? I guess having a PS2 mouse would solve this, since the
IRQ is
at a higher priority level, but I don't have a PS2 port. If I'm
right
about this so far, I guess if I moved the modem to COM1 and the
mouse to
COM2 this might fix this annoyance. Also, I don't understand why
after I
click the mouse, I can't just wait for the result, instead of
having to
keep on clicking the mouse. If an interrupt isn't serviced right
away,
does it just disappear? Can someone please comment on any of
this? I don't
know how much, if any, of what I have written here is accurate.
Brad Britton

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]