RAW-FOOD  December 1998

RAW-FOOD December 1998

Re: Vegetarian chickens (was Re: Experimenting with RAF -Reply

Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:41:48 -1000

Rex:
>Not to break in on the good times, but while I'm quite familiar with adding
>kelp to chicken feed, fish meal seems new.  Do you know this for a fact?  And,
>is it known to help?  If so, I may talk to my feed man.

I'm guessing at the fact that it is a "good thing" but, yeah, fish meal
gets  (got) into chicken feed. In fact if there is too much the eggs take
on a fishy flavor. I must add that this is one of the truly idiotic human
inventions (feeding fishmeal to chickens). Basically they make fish meal
from "lessor fish" which used to mean sardines, anchoveys, jacks, and
mackerel, and then add it to chicken feed among other things. Why we don't
eat the sardines straight away is beyond me. ;) Then again, I may be dated
a bit. Fish meal may be too costly these days to put into chicken feed, but
it sure was, and probably is. I learned this while living in Peru as the
entire Peruvian fishery went under (and then the seabird guano fertilizer
followed since they fed on the fish which were overfished).

And thats a fak! ;)

>> I would say that a truly vegetarian chicken has never foraged a moment in
>> its life since it would then never have a chance at an insect.
>
>Almost---caged chickens do seem to enjoy the flies and other bugs that
>flock to
>their droppings.

OK, I bow to the superior logic and humbly humble my humb while humming. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft