RAW-FOOD  April 1998

RAW-FOOD April 1998

Lots of and Long Messages, Wanting to Reply, and a New Way to do

Gregg M Burton <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:09:49 -0800

Hi All!!!

I Posted the following Message to PALEOFOOD and I thought it belonged
here as well since I know a lot of us might want to Reply to a lot more
Messages than we do and make them longer and more detailed but just
don't seem to have the time.  Well here's a New Way to do so - Read
On!!!
-----
Hi Todd and All!!!

Todd from: What price paleo? Part III:
> This message is getting too long.

Finally a Man after my Own Heart!!! - I thought I was the only Detail
Freak Long Message Write on the List!!! - :) - I'm So Glad I'm Not
Alone!!! - :)

There are so any Messages I want to Reply to but have been so busy and
if I Replied to them All I'd probably never sleep.  As it is I just got
up after not having gone to bed for 2 days again.  It's just that I,
like you, like to be thorough and detailed when I Reply and not hold
anything back - I wonder if in the future we'll just be sending Voice
Messages I, myself, might at least start using Dragon NaturallySpeaking,
a speech recognition dictation technology developed by Dragon Systems
Inc. of Newton, Mass..  Quoting from an article:
http://www.amcity.com/stlouis/stories/101397/focus2.html
-----
Olive Tree gives branch to disabled in dictation software -- St. Louis
Business Journal -- 1997-10-13 -

With some training, Dragon NaturallySpeaking allows users to speak at
110 words per minute with 95 percent accuracy. About the pace of an
unrushed conversation with your next door neighbor -- or so its creators
say. Users read from Dr. Arthur Clarke's "3001: The Final Odyssey" or
Dave Barry's "Dave Barry in Cyberspace" for "18 entertaining minutes" to
train the computer.

The market for this technology is destined to shift. Price has come down
dramatically, and more people have access to the high-powered personal
computers required to use the software. CompUSA sells IBM's Simply
Speaking Gold for $99.99 and offers Dragon NaturallySpeaking for
$169.99. That's far cry from seven years ago when Dragon Dictate (still
available) cost $10,000 and came with a week of free training.
----
 - Seems Pretty Cool, Eh!!! - Can you believe how much something like
this was just a few years ago? - Wow!!! - What A Trip!!!

While I was writing this I wanted to give you Dragon Systems Inc.'s Web
Site - which is http://www.dragonsys.com - and while I was there guess
what I found:
http://www.dragonsys.com/news/pressrelease/pointandspeak.html
-----
New Continuous Speech Product from Dragon Systems® Targets Mass Market
Channels With Low Cost and Ease of Use

Dragon Point & Speak™ v1 Achieves Speed and High Accuracy By Using Same
Speech Engine Found In The Widely Acclaimed Dragon NaturallySpeaking -

Beverly Hills, Calif., - March 31, 1998 - Dragon Point & Speak, a new
easy to use continuous speech system priced at $59.95, was introduced
today at RetailVision, by worldwide leader in speech recognition
software, Dragon Systems, Inc of Newton, Mass. The new product, aimed
for sale by mass merchants and warehouse clubs, is the first to allow
natural continuous speech at such a low price. It enables users to speak
directly into virtually any Windows application, including Microsoft
Word, Corel WordPerfect, email packages and chat room software.

"We really listened to the marketplace. Many consumers told us that the
different speech products on the market and their claims confuse them.
Our goal was to focus on the essentials that consumers wanted and to
eliminate the complex features found in business and professional
systems," said Roger Matus, Vice President of Marketing for Dragon
Systems.

With Dragon Point & Speak, users simply point and click their mouse in
the text window of virtually any Windows application, including
Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, e-mail packages and chat room
software. They then speak naturally. Their words appear immediately
right in their application. Complicated features and commands are
eliminated.

Consumers can now create correspondence, reports, email messages without
typing. Many will find that they can write faster than ever before.

Simple to use, Dragon Point & Speak achieves high accuracy and fast
performance by using the same continuous speech recognition engine that
is found in Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Independent reviews in major
publications found the accuracy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking to be
between 95% and 98%.

"For the first time, consumers will not need to sacrifice quality to get
a low price or ease-of-use," said Matus.
-----
I thought that you'd All appreciate this since I know we All might want
to Reply to more Message than we might seem to have time for and this
now will make things so much Easier and Faster - Very Cool!!!

Well that's all for now from me.  I just wanted you All to know that
there are a lot of Messages I wanted to Reply to and when I get my copy
of Dragon NaturallySpeaking or Dragon Point & Speak I'll be Replying a
lot more often - I wonder if some of you are looking forward to that or
dreading that - Who Knows!!! - :) - It's Been A Pleasure As Usual!!!

 - Take Care!!!

 - Gregg!!!