RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Alexander Rice)
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:47:03 -0800
Hello,

There seems to be a general agreement among veg-raw folks (at least those
who've mentioned their opinions on this subject) that human's most
appropriate environment is that of the tropics. I am not actively
challenging this view, but I am requesting more detailed info and/or
references to valid sources which I can further explore. Since much of the
more impressive (to me) dietary theory expressed via veg-raw has its basis,
in part, in the premise that humans are genetically/biologically at home in
the tropics, I feel this premise is worthy of deeper investigation.

Based on what tiny bit I've read (from Starr & Taggart's *Biology: the
Unity and Diversity of Life*, fifth edition (1989)), early tree-dwelling
primates did indeed live/evolve in a world in which tropical rainforests
flourished - some 50 million years ago. Subsequent development continued in
a similar environment until about 25 million years ago, when massive land
shifts led to a major cooling trend, including a decline in rainfall.
Tropical and sub-tropical forests gradually gave way to grasslands and the
like, thus the evolution of our ancestors was greatly affected. This
cooling pattern continued until the extremes of the Ice Ages of 1.5 million
to 300,000 years ago.

Succinctly put (and greatly oversimplified to be sure), of the past 50
million years of our ancestral genetic evolution, roughly the first half
occured in a tropical environment, and the second half in a non-tropical
environment. So why is one to believe that the tropics is our home?

Again, this is not meant to be a active challenge of this point of view. I
freely admit I know nearly nothing on this topic, so I'm just lookin' for
more info.

Anybody?

Sincerely appreciated,
Alex